How to Get Rid of Mold in Water Bottle

If you’re wondering whether mold in your water bottle can make you sick, the answer is yes! Knowing how to get rid of mold in a water bottle is essential if you want to avoid having to throw one of your favourite bottles away. If you’ve got that mold smell in your water bottle, it’s time to give it a thorough clean. Here’s how…


1. Does water mold in a water bottle?

Yes. Mold is a totally natural (and usually harmless) microorganism that loves damp, moist spaces. 

When you think about it, that’s exactly what your water bottle is - a damp, moist space with very little air flow. This means that it is the ideal home for mold. 

There are more than 100,000 types of mold and many are totally harmless, however the one that might appear in your water bottle is toxic. It is known as Black Mold colloquially however its proper name is Stachybotrys chartarum. 

It sounds scary, and to be honest it is! When black mold appears on your water bottle, or anything that you come into contact with you need to take immediate action. 

 However, even before the point of visibility black mould will have invisible spores that might smell or feel rough to touch. These are tell tale signs that mold is developing in your water bottle and it’s time to take action. 

To be safe, it’s best to wash your water bottle after every use. We know it seems a bit of a pain, but it’s really worth it to avoid mold build up. One of the reasons that people love our products so much is that the entire range is dishwasher safe. Bye bye mold!

2. Can mold in water bottles make you sick?

Yes. This is the main reason that you need to take urgent action. Drinking from a moldy water bottle can make you sick because you are swallowing mold. Mold can cause all kinds of problems including respiratory problems, nausea, cramping, diarrhea and unexplained infections.

In fact, one woman even stated that her husband had suffered from unexplained sickness that his doctor couldn’t understand. Despite being on antibiotics, nothing had worked until she opened up his keep cup to see mold growing that he had been ingesting every day!

Does mold in a water bottle smell?

Yes. This is often one of the key indicators that mold is starting to grow.

The smell will likely precede any visible signs of mold, and will tell you that you need to wash your bottle urgently. When we say wash, we mean really wash. We’re all guilty of doing a little rinse at the end of the day and thinking “it’s only water, what’s the harm”. However, if you do this you will notice that the mold smell in your water bottle never leaves because although you may be rinsing away any visible signs of mold, those nasty spores will still be present.

How to get rid of mold smell in water bottle

  • To get rid of the mold smell in your water bottle you can: Wash your water bottle daily  
  • Wash in the dishwasher if possible for a more comprehensive clean 
  •  If that’s not available hand wash daily and then soak once a week 
  • You should try to use a bottle brush to scrub the hard to reach areas 
  • Take extra care to clean around the mouthpiece where you come into contact with the bottle

P.S. Here's some helpful links to other Greens Steel tips & tricks:

How to Personalize a Stainless Steel Water Bottle or Tumbler Mug

How to Clean:

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published