The Guardian is calling the world’s plastic binge ‘as dangerous as climate change.’ The majority of plastics are single-use and single-use water bottles are a leading culprit. Not only are we creating entirely too much plastic waste, but the plastics are made of chemicals that are known to be a human health concern. Did you know that in the United States, standards for tap water are more stringent than those of bottled water? This means you could be paying 1,000% more for your water & also be drinking a lower quality water?!
If you are still drinking your water from single-use plastic, it's time to make the change.
- Plastic leaches chemicals that could cause any number of health concerns (endocrine disruptors, heart problems, fertility issues, and more.)
- BPA is a chemical found in plastic, that has been banned in many countries for various uses.
- In 2010 Karin Michels, who was an Associate professor of gynecology, obstetrics, and reproductive biology at Harvard Medical School, followed 77 Harvard College students over a two week trial period. The students drank cold beverages from stainless steel water bottles one week and from polycarbonate bottles the other week. Urine samples showed an increase of 69 percent in BPA levels during the polycarbonate week.
- The CDC scientists found BPA in the urine of nearly all people tested, which indicates widespread exposure to BPA in the U.S. Population. (study included 2,517 participants ages 6 and +, conducted in 2003-2004)
- Companies are starting to remove BPA from some products, but they are being replaced by other chemicals and unfortunately, the BPA alternatives could potentially be just as unsafe…
- The evidence is mounting that the chemical building blocks that make plastics so versatile are also harming our health and the environment.
- Fossil fuels – around 4 % of the world oil production is used as a feedstock to make plastics, and a similar amount is consumed as energy in the process.
- Plastic lasts forever, or at least several hundreds of years.
- A million plastic bottles per minute are bought around the world.
- The Guardian is calling the world’s plastic binge ‘as dangerous as climate change’
- Plastic is set to outweigh all fish in the oceans by 2050
- 91% of plastic bottles are not recycled
- World’s top drink companies only use about 7% recycled plastic for new bottles
- As of December 9, 2017 China has stopped accepting foreign recycling. The United States exports about 1/3 of its recycling and about half was going to China. Now where does it go? In some places, to a landfill.
It is all of the above reasons and many more that we recommend always bringing your reusable water bottle with you. Fill up at water fountains, or with tap water, and stay hydrated in a zero waste way! The environment, your health, and others will all be better for it!
Looking for additional ways to help limit the amount of single-use plastic you use? Here are some simple and easy tips to reduce your waste today. Here are some cool facts about more benefits of ditching single-use plastic water bottles.
If you are looking for a stainless steel Tumbler with thousands of amazing reviews on Amazon, give our Greens Steel Beast Tumblers a try.