Types of Water Bottles - Pros and Cons
If you’re debating which water bottle to get, take a look at the different types of water bottles and their pros and cons.
How many types of water bottles are there?
There are SO many different types of water bottles, and with the world becoming more eco-friendly the market is becoming more and more saturated. Whilst it’s great that people have lots of different water bottle material options, it can also be hard to know which water bottle is best when there are so many out there. Water bottles can be made out of so many different materials, however they have pretty much been narrowed down to the following materials that we will look at in more detail below:
- Stainless steel
Which water bottles are the best?
What are the Pros and Cons of different water bottles?
Glass water bottles
Glass water bottles can be a great eco-friendly option, and can look amazing on a table. However, if you’re looking for a water bottle to take with you wherever you go, they’re not the best option.
- Glass is one of the best materials for water bottles, alongside stainless steel
- Much easier to recycle than other materials Glass is infinitely recyclable
- Can be decorative and elegant
- Healthy and risk free in terms of any toxic chemicals
- Not particularly safe
- Not suitable for being on the go or active
- Easily breakable
Best for: Grabbing on the go when there’s no other sustainable alternative.
Stainless Steel water bottles
Stainless steel water bottles are widely considered the best material when the stainless steel is of food grade, high quality. They can hold the temperature of your drink, withstand all kinds of temperature and force, and last a lifetime when properly looked after.
- Doesn't affect drink taste
- No BPA’s or chemicals
- Sturdy and long lasting Holds temperature
- Better for the environment than plastic
- Easy to wash
- Greens Steel’s Stainless Steel Water Bottles are crafted out of the highest quality 18/8 Stainless Steel. In a nutshell, this composite material is durable, long-lasting, and anti corrosive to the extreme
- Green’s Steel bottles use 18/8 Stainless Steel that's made of 18% chromium 8% nickel, affording better corrosion resistance
- Potentially more of an up front investment vs disposable bottles
Ceramic water bottles
You don’t tend to see ceramic water bottles, however they have been used in the past to hold water. They’re not an ideal material for most people to drink from due to their weight and texture, however they are environmentally friendly.
- Eco-friendly/ good for the environment
- Easily recyclable after use
- Can be reused many times
- Make nice decorative pieces in homes
- Hard to source as not many companies sell ceramic water bottles
- Ceramics break easily and don’t withstand force very well
- Strange ‘thick’ texture that some people don’t enjoy drinking out of
Plastic water bottles
Plastic water bottles come last on the list because they are the material that should be most discouraged (in our opinion!). Plastic water bottles are usually single use and cause a whole host of problems from environmental issues to health concerns
- Easy to shape
- Cheap to create
- Terrible for the environment as we can’t recycle them at the rate they are created
- Leach BPAs when under heat which can cause health issues
- BPAs and chemicals from plastic water bottles can also get into water systems and wreak havoc with the natural environment
- Very rarely recycled due to their on-the-go nature
What type of water bottle is best for you?
Having explored our list of pros and cons of each water bottle, it’s good to consider what you need a water bottle for and the material that best suits that need. As you can see, each water bottle has benefits and downfalls, however they all suit a particular need. The main thing to consider is going to be your health, and how a water bottle impacts that. If you’re drinking out of a water bottle that leaches BPA’s you should consider switching it. You can learn more about the dangers of BPAs over on our BPA vs Stainless steel page. Plus, if you’re ready to choose a stainless steel water bottle, take a look at Green’s Steel’s many options.
Prepare your body & mind for a perfect coffee experience with the BEASTSHOP THE BEAST
Leave a comment